Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wireless Hartford?!


It's amazing how much life (and blogs) get put on hold without internet access. I just moved into my new place downtown this weekend and I don't have internet access yet. To be honest, I'm a bit suprised I can't pick up a wireless signal from anyone else in the building, but I guess most people have caught on to the whole stealing Internet thing. Anyway, AT&T offers DSL for $20/month...(and that's not an introductory rate!) which is far cheaper than Comcast. So I'm giving that a shot and it should be installed by next Monday. Hopefully it is decent service. I am skipping on the cable for now and just getting a converter box so I can get basic channels and relying on hulu and my netflix.

What ever happened to "wireless hartford"??? Isn't there supposed to be free wireless access in all of downtown? If there is, I can't seem to pick up the signal. Ah well, I'll spend tonight hanging some pictures in the new place.

1 comment:

Luis Cotto said...

Hola Jared, Just got introduced to your blog...good stuff. Regarding Wireless Hartford...the attempt to have city wide Wi-Fi was discontinued in 2007-2008. We do have pockets of wireless availablity around the city under the same name. At City Hall we get it pretty clearly and I've been told areas around Bushnell Park also get it nice.

What the City is doing that can be a positive thing for people wanting access to wifi is that they have city owned buildings thruought the city totally wired and available. The rationale? City employees who need to get access to city information no longer have to wait to get to the office to access that info. They could just drive to the nearest spot (and they literally are spread out amongst these 18 sq. miles) and log on.

For those people who live adjacent to these buildings, they should be able to get the same wifiness.