Friday, November 27, 2009

Tomorrow is Moving Day!


Last weekend there were three shootings in downtown Hartford. I am still excited to move into my brand new apartment, only two blocks away from at least one of these shootings took place. Don't get me wrong, it scared me at first, and it still does scare me. In my experience, downtown Hartford is a ghost town on most weeknights. It is very quiet and, for the most part, feels safe (although it is eerie when there is not another soul in sight). On the other hand, Hartford night life can get pretty rowdy on the weekends, hence three shootings in one night. My parking spot is about 1/2 mile from my apartment and I really do not want to feel as though I have to be in my apartment by 9pm on weekends in order to avoid the violence. But this sort of fear, of the possibility of violence, is the price you pay for living in any urban or metropolitan area, I just hope there is some governmental plan of action to lower the crime rate in the area, in order to make the city more desirable for residents. It is not as if there is no possibility of violence in Boston, New York, or Chicago on a Friday or Saturday night. In fact, there is probably more violence in many areas of those cities. At the very least, I think I will feel safe in my building.

Moving day is such an exciting day. It still hasn't hit me that I will be in a new apartment after spending 2.5 years in my current place and I'm sure it will take a while for the new apartment to feel like home, but it will get there. I'm excited for my little studio in downtown Hartford. Oh, I'm looking to start a Sunday dog walking club....coffee and some puppy play time in Bushnell Park. Whose in?

No comments: