Monday, February 22, 2010

Boston You're My Home

This weekend I took some much needed time in my hometown in Massachusetts. It was much needed for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I had two weeks of laundry piled up that had to get done. I know it might seem a bit ridiculous to drive 1.5 hours to go to mom and dad's to do laundry, but I would have to drive anyway, since there is no laundromat in downtown Hartford, so I might as well make the trip home and do it for free, right? I also got some good meals out of it and a taste of high speed internet and HD cable television (with all the movie channels!). Now, I didn't have extensive cable television while I was growing up, we didn't have Internet access in my home until I was in the 6th grade, and I didn't get a cell phone until (if I recall correctly) my Sophomore year of High School, but once you have these things, it's hard to go without. I know it sounds spoiled, and maybe it is, but I'm finding it extremely difficult having the slowest available internet (because it was the cheapest) and access to only two or three channels with my antenna and digital converter (because there is no monthly fee). I have a lot of friends and co-workers who seem to do fine living as minimalists without cable or Internet access, but I'm beginning to think I might not be cut out for such a lifestyle. Yeah, I can pop in a DVD or read a book, but it makes me feel so secluded not being connected. I think part of the problem is that I'm living alone. If I had a roommate there would, at the very least, be another body around, there would be company available. I'm happy with where I am and I'm happy I made the choice to live in a studio downtown and give urban living a shot. I just have some kinks to work out along the way.

When I was up in MA I took some time to venture into Boston (well, Cambridge) to see a show at Club Oberon, a new nightclub opened by the American Repertory Theatre at Harvard. I saw The Donkey Show, which is essentially a disco-fied version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Audience members either stood (and danced) on the dance floor, where bartenders were available throughout the entire show, or had table seating. I was refreshed by the enthusiasm in the venue and the diverse crowd in attendance. Patrons were young, old, male, female, straight, gay, black, white, etc. and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Yeah, Club Oberon is in Boston, where the population is young, old, black white, male, female etc etc etc and there are a number of large universities and colleges in the area, but I have to admit, the staff at A.R.T took a leap of faith with this production. As far as I know, A.R.T has a reputation in the regional theatre world and this was definitely not a traditional piece of theatre. The plan is to keep Club Oberon in place and produce programming to fit the nightclub venue, essentially paving the path for a new generation of theatergoers while (hopefully) retaining the long-time loyal subscribers, donors, board members, and patrons. All I know is I had a good time and I feel that I got some artistic nourishment. I'll definitely be back to Club Oberon for more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jared,

I saw H22 was good source of news on events in Hartford and thought you and your readers would be interested in the Sugarloaf Crafts Festival that’s coming to the Connecticut Expo Center, March 26-28.

This is the 35th year of Sugarloaf’s spring Hartford show and it will feature more than 200 nationally acclaimed artists, gourmet foods, demonstrations, live music and kids entertainment. The work on display appeals to people of all ages. Locally, Seth Walter of Windsor will be displaying his woodworking (http://www.silverleafwoodworking.com/) and Marilyn Davis and Gerald Hardy of Falls Village will be displaying their artwork, including paintings of Connecticut scenes (http://www.favoritectplaces.com/).

If you’d like, I can send along the press release, along with a few tickets for you to attend and maybe give some away on the blog.

Sugarloaf’s official site is http://www.sugarloafcrafts.com and the Facebook Fan Page can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/sugarloafcrafts. Images of some of the work on display can be found here: http://sugarloafcrafts.com/pr/spring_hartford_photo.html

Thanks!
Dan
dan@himmelrich.com