Monday, February 15, 2010

Life is Like A Wheel

My grandfather has always told me that life is like a wheel; it goes around and around. Sometimes you are up, sometimes you're down, and more often than not, you're somewhere in the middle. This theory really can be applied to any aspect of life: professional, social, financial, love, etc. I have found that lately, my wheel has been going around quite fast. Some days I find myself up, some days down, and often somewhere in between.

When I first moved downtown, I was quite optimistic about the state of the city of Hartford and where it might be heading. I knew it would be a struggle as downtown lacks many necessary amenities such as a grocery store and a laundromat, but I stayed optimistic. I made the move downtown because I had just graduated, I got a full-time job downtown, and I needed a change of atmosphere after spending 4 years in the suburbs of West Hartford. I have been mostly happy with my move downtown. My building is fantastically diverse and I have an unbeatable 5-minute walk commute to my office. Unfortunately, pessimism kicked in for a while and I wasn't feeling so great about Hartford. Last weekend I drove to West Hartford to do my laundry and had an overwhelming urge to move back to my old neighborhood. I could pay far less in monthly rent (for a larger apartment) and I would be surrounded by far more people and much more industry. But where's the fun in that? In Downtown hartford, I have a chance to make some change, to be a part of a movement, regardless of how far it goes. Tonight I attended the first meeting of what will evolve into a downtown Hartford Resident Association. It's relieving to be a part of the community in downtown.

I think I just have some cabin fever. I'm ready for Spring and Summer and time outside (at Bushnell Park across the street)!

1 comment:

Dom said...

Just moved to downtown Hartford last week. When I googled "downtown hartford residents association", I came across your blog. Any update on an association? You can reach me directly at lutina4@hotmail.com. Thanks! Dom