Monday, November 9, 2009

Learning Curve


Is it just me or is the first day (or is it the first few weeks) on a new job entirely overwhelming? Not overwhelming in a bad way but in a "wow, I can't believe I'm here" kind of way. Especially when you are learning the ropes of the job from a long-time employee, it seems almost daunting: there is so much information to learn and so much to do in one day and yet the trainer seems to move at rapid speed. Well, that's because s/he's been doing it for 3, 4, 5 years and has a handle on the day-to-day activity of the job. I'll get there too of course, time and practice bring knowledge. Needless to say, I started my job as an executive assistant at Hartford Stage today. 3 weeks until I make the move into my downtown (studio!) apartment, and 4 weeks until I'm finished with my undergraduate degree.

Studio living will be....interesting. I've been living in a two-bedroom apartment in the suburbs of West Hartford for the past 3 years. The studio may be small, but it's in a really great building in a key location across from Bushnell park. As I enter this next chapter in my life I want to be surrounded by people and other young professionals like myself, I'm hoping the building I'm moving into will give me the community I'm looking for. I also hope the end up opening a grocery and/or coffee shop in the retail spaces on the 1st floor! We'll make it work, although my dog might not like a smaller space. Can't wait for moving day

No comments: