Thursday, November 12, 2009

Studio Life


When I got hired full-time in Hartford, one of my first thoughts was: "Great! I'll get to live (relatively) cheaply and save some money!" My plan was to move to New York City in December and start looking for work in the theatre industry and the cheapest two-bedroom apartments I could find ran at least $1400/month...and these were out in Brooklyn and/or Astoria; but this is typical in NYC, so I was unphased by the prices.


When I got a job downtown, I decided I needed a change of atmosphere. I did have New York on my mind, and after 4-years as a young person in the suburbs of West Hartford, I'm looking for more of an urban atmosphere. I need to be around more people (not that downtown Hartford has a huge population, but at least it is more concentrated). Anyway, as of December 1st, I'll be living in a studio apartment in The Hollander building downtown. It's a beautiful, newly renovated apartment in a green building. I'm hoping there are a lot of other young professionals in the building (and other puppies for mine to play with!). I'm excited to be less than .5miles from my office so I can stop using my car and avoid a gas expense (I wish I could get rid of my car all together!) I'm also pretty interested in being  a part of dowtown Hartford's revitalization: if we want the city to wake up, we need to contribute!

Actually, I've just convinced myself that I am making the right choice (I've been going back-and-forth on this) while writing this. It's important to me to be downtown, close to work, and in an apartment building with other tenants. I mean where else would I have the opportunity to live in the heart of a city for such a low price? Let's make it happen.

No comments: